Finally managed to recreate my favorite Moroccan dish today, Bissara. Stoked, despite the fact that I’m incapable of taking a good photo.
Roughly followed this recipe:
450 g bag of dried fava beans (soaked in water overnight, skins removed)
1 teaspoon of cumin
2 teaspoon of paprika
4 large garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of salt
3 cups chicken stock (or water to be vegetarian)
2 tablespoon of olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Paprika for garnish
- Drain the fava beans from the water and place them in a cooking pan.
- Add cumin, paprika, garlic, chicken stock and 4 cups of cold water.
- Cover pan and let the fava beans cook on medium high until the texture becomes so soft that you can puree them easily (about 90 minutes). Add water as needed to keep beans covered with liquid.
- Transfer everything to food processor and puree until smooth. Add water or broth as needed to get soup-like texture.
- Mix in olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
- Serve hot with drizzled olive oil, cumin and paprika on top.